Free individuals and teams up to create value as autonomously as possible, so that you can deliver value fast and avoid unnecessary dependencies.
Essential patterns to help you achieve this:
- Clarify and Develop Domains – When people understand their own areas of responsibility, and those of others too, they know what is expected of them and where they are dependent on others.
- Pull-System For Work – People being able to pull in new work items when they have capacity, eliminates overload and improves productivity.
- Delegate Influence – Delegating work, together with authority to make decisions relating to that work, frees people up to create value and removes unnecessary dependencies.
- Role – Delegating autonomy to an individual to decide and act within clearly defined constraints, frees individuals up to create value, and enables those who delegate to retain as much influence as necessary.
- Circle – Delegating autonomy to a team to organize and govern themselves within clearly defined constraints, frees the team up to create value, and enables those who delegate that authority to retain as much influence as necessary.
- Clarify and Develop Strategy – A strategy for creating value, developed by the individual or team and agreed upon by all relevant stakeholders, builds trust and supports autonomy.
- Development Plan; Collaborating with relevant stakeholders on developing a plan for how to improve, helps a team or individual in a role develop their skill and competence, and builds trust among all concerned.
- Align Flow – Moving decision-making close to where value is created, while retaining the influence of the relevant stakeholders, supports the flow of value and eliminates unnecessary dependencies and delays.