Maintain a system that allows all stakeholders to review the state of all work items currently pending, in progress or complete.
- valuable for self-organization and pull-systems
- system must be accessible to everyone affected
- analog: post-its on a wall, or index cards, magnets and white board
- digital: Trello, Kanbanize, Leankit, Miro, Jira, Google Sheets, etc.
Things to track:
- types of work items (e.g. customer request, project tasks, reporting tasks, rework)
- start date (and due date if necessary)
- stages of work (e.g. “to do”, “in progress”, “review” and “done”)
- who is working on which items
- agreements and expectations guiding workflow (e.g. definition of done, policy, quality standards)
- use colors, symbols, highlights etc.